Highlighted USDA School Lunch Changes From the Federal Register
- Fruit requirements will go from ½ cup to 1 cup at breakfast.
- Fruit and vegetable requirements will go from 1 to 1 ½ cups together to ¾ to 1 cup fruits and ½ to 1 cup vegetables at lunch.
- Grain requirements will double and whole grains will be emphasized.
- New requirements will include specific vegetables like dark leafy greens, orange vegetables, and legumes as well as a limit on starchy vegetables.
- Full fat and low fat milk will no longer be offered.
- Whole grains will be implemented in a staged manner as to adjust to the taste buds of students.
- Meat alternatives will also be offered as main dishes including tofu.
- Calorie levels for lunch will be limited to 550 to 650 for grades K through 5, 600 to 700 for grades 6 through 8, and 750 to 850 for grades 9 through 12.